Hire Your Dream Employee in a Day: A Step-by-Step Guide
Hiring someone in a day or less can appear a daunting task, but it can be done with the right approach and preparation. Here are some steps to follow to help you hire someone quickly and effectively:
1. Clearly define the position, in terms of your top needs and the needs of others involved: Before you start looking for candidates, you need to have a clear understanding of the position you are looking to fill.
2. Have a recruitment partner or partners ready: Pre-briefed recruiters who know your company and its needs will help you reach a wider pool of candidates quickly. Ideally, engage them in informally building a funnel of possible candidates long before you actually need anyone.
3. Forget about resumes and cover letters. They’re mostly fictions anyway. Pose a few simple questions about their assumptions and beliefs about how work should work – oftentimes the key stumbling block to compatibility.
4. Have one-to-one video chats: Video chats give you an idea of the personality of the candidates, a key aspect of hiring. It also enables a discussion of THEIR needs from the position – another key aspect of hiring. Beware making snap judgments, and of your unconscious biases and prejudices.
5.Make a quick decision: Nobody likes hanging around. Make it reversible.
6. Have the paperwork already pre-prepared: This includes the offer letter, and any other legal requirements. Things like background checks can follow along behind the candidate actually starting (geography-specific caveats may apply).
7. Have their workplace, equipment, access, colleagues, etc. already pre-prepared.
8. Get them started (for a trial period)! You’ll only really know if they’re a good hire once they have a few days or weeks in the job.
By following these steps, you’ll be able to find and hire someone in a day or less. Keep in mind that finding the right candidate quickly is not always easy, but with the right approach and preparation, it’s definitely possible.
See also: Make Bad Hires!